Sunday, October 22, 2017

2016 Acura TLX Update - A Year In, and Still Going Strong






At A Glance:
Mileage: 14,430
Out-of-Pocket Maintenance: $250
Gas MPG: 26.8 (avg)

A Pleasant Surprise?

With just over 14,000 miles on the clock, it’s time to reflect on what it’s been like to own an Acura TLX over the past year. In short, I can say that aside from a few niggles here and there, it’s been a rather standard, but overall pleasant experience. But, when you think about it, having a standard experience with a sedan of this type that fits into the mid-size category is pretty much par for the course. But, unlike the common Camrys, Optimas and even the TLX’s Honda-based cousin, the Accord, it does pack a little extra “white glove punch” if you will.  Let’s break it down.


Things I like

Now, when I say that driving a TLX is a “standard” experience, I don't mean that it’s about as entertaining as vanilla ice cream. Think, Vanilla ice cream with chocolate syrup. A little something extra, but not quite the whole sundae you were hoping for. With that being said, it beats out a lot of other traditional mid-size sedans when it comes to the daily driving experience. The interior, while not as flashy as, say, a BMW 3 series, is still a nice place to be. At 80 miles an hour on the highway, the interior is quiet and soothing. There is little to no tire roar, and apart from the soft, slightly optimistic and grumbly hum of the engine, the only thing you can really hear is a muffled wind noise as it flows over the hood. This amazing sound insulation – a quality that a lot of people who aren’t familiar with the Acura brand tend to overlook, actually elevates the interior and makes all of the cheap-looking plastics a bit less….artificial.

All that quietness allows me to really enjoy the crisp and clear sound of the ELS Audio System as well. Developed by Elliot Schneider, the ELS audio system that comes equipped with the 2.4 liter tech package doesn’t disappoint. Being a fan of the EDM world, you’ll find me listening to a lot of music that involves a lot of bass and sound articulation, and no matter how much I turn up the volume or want to test my hearing thresh hold, the bass doesn’t come anywhere close to distorting the overall sound while delivering a punch that you’d expect from some sort of aftermarket system. The highly customizable audio interface allows me to tune the sound to my liking with 8 channels to optimize sound quality, so even if there is too much bass, for example, I can manipulate the system settings to get the sound that I want. The Bluetooth interface is simple to use as well, and after initial setup, it can automatically sync to my phone every time I get in the car. It can even switch between multiple devices at pretty much the touch of a button, which means that in this case, I don’t have to take my eyes off the road if one of my friends wants to sync their phone up to play music. Now, in my old car, this was more of an issue, but was resolved via the use of a 3.5mm audio jack – an option that does not exist on the TLX.

 The other thing that I’ve enjoyed about the TLX’s dual-screen interface has been the fact that I don’t have to temporarily lose sight of my Navigation screen while I’m searching for a song to listen to, or setting the climate control. I can even use the TLX’s voice command system to enter an address into the Nav, further alleviating the need to focus on the screen while I’m out on the road, or having to pull into a parking lot to enter a destination address manually. This makes road trips easier and getting where I need to go less of a distraction hazard when entering a destination on the fly.

Speaking of getting where I need to go, the 2.4 Liter engine has proven to be equal parts efficient and more than adequate performance-wise. When I’m merging onto a highway, the engine never struggles with merging. Even in Econ mode, the motor doesn’t sound or feel like it has difficulty getting me up to highway speed when it comes to hard acceleration. In fact, it’s kind of a thrill since I initially didn’t expect a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder Honda engine in a mid-size sedan to push me back into my seat slightly. Part of that is thanks to the 8-speed DCT transmission that the engine is mated to, which is pretty good at quickly getting the right gear to attain such confident acceleration. And when I say that the engine is efficient, I mean it’s a stop-at-the-pump-once-a-month kind of efficient. Now, I will say that this efficiency is mostly because my daily commute is maybe a few miles. But even so, on a full tank, I can make a two-hour trip out to Milwaukee and back with the needle only dipping just below the Full line at the end of the journey. As I’ve mentioned in previous articles, this has been probably one of my favorite features of this car, ergonomically speaking, in that it has saved me hundreds of dollars in fuel costs over the past year compared to the thirsty V-6 of my Maxima, or the race-bred rotary in the RX-8.

 

 

Things I’ve noticed issue with

It goes without saying that while the TLX has many positive benefits, there are a few things that are worth noting that are not so great. There’s nothing that would be considered a deal-breaker or a reliability killer for my particular car, but these issues are still worth mentioning, nonetheless.

We start with the 8-speed DCT transmission. Earlier I did praise the TLX’s transmission for its ability to deliver a mix of efficiency and performance, however it’s certainly not perfect. In my case, the issues seem to lie within the low gears. For example, when I come to a stop at a traffic light, occasionally, the transmission will go wonky and will cause the car to lurch forward slightly and somewhat violently just before I come to a complete stop. This hasn’t been a consistent issue - in fact it’s fairly sporadic and weather doesn’t seem to be a factor since it’s happened in both hot and cold climates. But I have had to change my driving strategy, in that I always worry about whether I’ll stop too close to the rear bumper of a car in front of me, and the lurch will jerk me forward enough to love-tap that car’s bumper and cause a headache that could otherwise be avoided.

The same thing happens during acceleration, though I will say that this issue is more frequent, and I’ll be sure to bring it up to the technician at my next service appointment. What will happen is as I push the accelerator to go from a stop, the transmission will sometimes, again get clunky on me and slip a little before planting the power on the tires. There is usually a slight delay in response from the engine, but then the transmission will finally pull its head out of the clouds and remember that it has a job to do, which ultimately causes the car to again lurch forward, or even in most cases slip as it goes into first gear, causing jerky and unpredictable acceleration problems. Not enough to where I don’t feel safe driving, but enough for me to make the point that at times, acceleration can be troublesome for the transmission to handle. And I suppose I’m lucky enough to have the 2016 model, as reading through the TLX forums, there were consistent complaints of transmission related problems on 2015 models and moreso for the 9-speed ZF found on the V6 models. Hopefully Acura reads these things and really addresses the issue, since it has been shown to affect the reliability rating of the TLX, which ultimately hurts sales, and what would otherwise be considered a great car. That seems to be the extent of mechanical issues that have plagued first-gen TLX models. Let’s move on to the more technological issues.
 

 

As I mentioned in previous articles, the TLX’s dual-screen interface is great for many reasons, but, sadly, it just isn’t all that intuitive, and after a year of driving, I’m still very much of this opinion. For example, accessing common menu items like the Bluetooth or audio settings involves more fussing about than necessary. Navigating through the menus and sub-menus randomly switches my view between the duel screens frequently and supports my frustration with the fact that the menu navigation is sort of all-over the place in general. I’ve had a chance to get to know the system better over the past year, but early on, I had to sometimes pull over into a parking lot just to adjust the treble levels. It wasn’t as troublesome as it was just an inconvenience, and not something that I would think requires me having to get off the road to do. For 2018, I believe that Acura have re-worked the system somewhat and hopefully things should be easier to deal with. But for now, my ability to quickly navigate through the UI is solely based on my experience using it. Bad mark then for the TLX.

The last thing I’ll say is that, while it does have paddle shifters and the IDS allows me to select from 4 driving modes as outlined in previous updates, there’s just no real…zing. I mean, yes, the TLX is a great daily driver with an appearance that does out-pace that of similar cars in its category. And yes, merging onto highways is more fun than I’ve had with other cars but despite this, It is as I mentioned, a rather “standard” driving experience, albeit with a little extra punch. But, if you’re going to put a sport mode option and paddle shifters in, at least motivate the driver to use them every now and again. And don’t just pepper the engine with a little bit of kick, and pass it off as a different driving experience than what it’s like in normal or econ mode. It’s as if Acura only put this IDS selector module in as simply more of a marketing ploy than anything else. Now, that’s not to say that driving in sport mode is at all boring. There is a notable change in performance and it is slightly more entertaining, but sadly, for me, it’s not enough to ever consider using it for “enthusiastic” driving – in fact, 99% of the time I just leave it in Econ mode since I like the efficiency. It’s just one of those things that are “there” for being there’s sake. Let’s hope that in coming generations of the TLX, Acura really take the time to develop and fine-tune their IDS system so that it encourages drivers to actually use it more often than not.


All in all, the past year with the TLX has been a fairly good experience. Despite its small setbacks, and slight fender bender and tire patch, it has proven to be a reliable and solid choice in the mid-size car segment, and I think it will continue to do so as time progresses. Maintenance is cheap, and it has good fuel economy for a car of its size. While it is still a relatively new car, I will continue to report back on the TLX as time goes on and mileage continues to rise. Will it be just as dependable at 30,000 miles as it is now? Will there be any more transmission issues? Will I finally master the finnicky infotainment system? Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment