Tuesday, March 21, 2017

PHOTOS - 2017 Chicago Auto Show - Highlights

With this year's Chicago Auto Show long gone in the rear-view mirror, it's time we look back on some of the favorites from the show, with this lovely gallery that I've compiled for you from my visit this past February. From discovering that I somehow was able to cram all 6'1" of me into a Miata RF, to watching Mercedes G-Wagons scale damn-near vertical ramps indoors, this year's show was much more engaging and integrated than it has been in past years. It was smaller content-wise, but the experience was Yuuuge. See for yourself and let me know what your favorite parts of the show were!






The latest Camry really caught my eye, as well as many others. I know that admitting a likeness for a Camry has been known historically as something that is traditionally frowned upon in the automitive enthusiast community, but honestly, I found that looking at this new rendition is actually MORE entertaining than looking through a phonebook for a change. 












One thing I noticed that really gets under my skin year after year is people that steal artifacts from the show cars on the floor. Come on guys a plastic radio knob isn't going to fill that empty place in your heart or make the fact that you don't own a 4Runner TRD Pro any less true. 






I tried my hand at this Challenger Hellcat Driving Simulator in the Dodge display. If the game on the screen was anything to go by, the brakes on the Challenger are horrid. 







What's the best way to make a small car cool? Add many speakers. 


















The Lexus IS - Sriracha. I do enjoy a bit of Sriracha on my eggs in the morning. This might just be a bit overboard, and random considering it's a random condiment coming from the car company you'd least expect to do something like this.



















I don't know if Land Rover has ever heard of the short-lived Murano Convertible, but I don't really have a good feeling about the long-term future of this car. 

And the award for "Biggest Panel Gap" in the SUV category goes to...the Land Rover Range Rover Evoque Convertible. 






I was humbled to find that the TLX was the "Official Car" of the 2017 Chicago Auto Show. I was less impressed with the color though. Online, I really believed red was a great option. Up close, and I realized that this color, new for 2017, sort of cheapens the overall look of the TLX.

One car that red DOES look epic on is the new KIA Stinger GT. 






I'd like to take some time to commend Mitsubishi for showing up. They were stuck in this back corner, behind a giant wall from the nearby Volkswagen exhibit. They've had a rough few years, with the exit of the EVO and a slew of other internal issues. You'll also notice how...plain their setup is. No fancy platforms, no special effect lighting, not even an exciting new concept. Where every other brand display was the equivalent of one wearing a custom Armani Suit, Mitsubishi's display was a bit like showing up to a gala wearing sweat pants and a T-shirt. 
If you've seen the LEGO Batman movie, then you know what this is. If you haven't, well, it's a full-size lego mockup of Batman's Batmobile. A sign instructed spectators not to touch...but I'm a bit of a rebel. 



No comments:

Post a Comment