Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Chicago Auto Show: What I'm Excited About

I've been to many museums, exhibits, and trade shows ever since I was young, but it was my first visit to the Chicago Auto Show that would ignite my interest in cars, and keep the fire going year after year. Being able to get that up close and personal to many of the cars that I had only seen in pictures or that might have been the latest addition to my at the time extensive collection of Matchbox and Hot Wheels collection was like being in my own version of heaven. The only two things that seemed to be missing were my ability to actually drive, and a full size race track - complete with a number of "boosters" - (you know - the battery operated wheel thing that the cars went through to get going on the set). It all started when I was 6 years old.


It was 1997, and it was a Friday in February unlike any other. I sat anxiously in home room, waiting impatiently for the clock to hit 2:30pm. Of course, most days were spent agonizing over the fact that I was stuck in a classroom for 6 1/2 hours every day, 5 days a week; and aside from a few subjects that I actually enjoyed learning about (I was sort of a bookworm) I would always be overcome with excitement, like any child my age in the mid-90s, when we were allowed to get on the bus and come home to a TV, Nintendo 64, and all the apples and peanut butter that my stomach had room for. This day was different for me, however, as while the clock was at the forefront of my mind, the subjects that I usually took an interest in learning about seemed to be a distant mumble in the background as I doodled whatever 4-wheeled creations came to mind.


Earlier that week, my parents decided that I had done well enough in school to deserve a special treat, so at dinner one night, they told me about this wonderful place where I could see all my favorite cars - in person - in full size. Overcome with joy, I immediately asked the question "when are we going" so repetitively that I think I started slurring the words together after the 50th time in a row. "Friday" they eventually responded - a conversation that had filled my heart with the most amount of joy that any 6 year old can contain. I was thrilled.


Upon setting foot into McCormick Place's nearly 1 million square foot exhibit hall where the show was and still is hosted that cold February Friday, I couldn't even begin to contain myself - in fact, I did everything I could to pry my hands from my father's grip and ran toward the first car I saw - a full - sized Ford Mustang - in the flesh. I ran up to it, and basked in it's red glowing glory - a 1998 Mustang GT was staring me right in the face. Sure, I'd seen Mustangs on the road before, but I had never seen such a pristine example, and until I learned that the doors were unlocked, I had never sat in one either. It was my first proper auto show encounter, and I will never forget how thorough the examination was, from my first tire kick, to exploring the inner workings of every single button on the dash board - I was in my own world, and after 15 minutes, I realized something - there were at least 200 or more cars that were calling for my attention - and to the thrill, and slight annoyance of my parents, I made sure I saw every single one.


Fast forward to 2015, and the excitement still gets me hyped up to see what the auto industry's next big thing is. I haven't missed a single year aside from 2013 (I have an accounting exam to thank for that one), and every year, you'd think you've seen the best - the line - the end all, be all of car innovation and design. But of course as with every year, they just kept coming out with more mind - blowing stuff, and judging by what companies like Dodge, Ford, Alfa Romeo and Honda have been up to, I've already begun to make my go-to list for 2015, and I've assembled my top - 5 prospects that I hope to see, should they make their appearance.


1. Ford GT
Aside from a small blurb in a past issue of Motor Trend that I read about on the return of the Ford GT, Ford Motor Company has done quite a good job of keeping their cards close to their chest on the details surrounding its imminent return - right up until they swept the crowds at the Detroit Auto Show off their feet with the reveal of the next generation fire-breathing GT this past week - and what a car it is. With 600+ horsepower, jet fighter exhausts and an entirely new body that strays away from the retro-modern looks of the previous model in favor of a more futuristic design with minimal design cues from the classic original, this new GT was an instant hit among the media, and the pictures that came online shortly after proved that Ford really is ahead of their time, and If Ford has it on the stand this year, you can be sure to see plenty of pictures from yours truly.

 
Autoblog
 
2. Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat
The latest ring-nosed steam blowing creation from Dodge has definitely come a long way from its concept form in 2006, and in terms of numbers and performance, it was definitely quite the read when I first heard about it, but nothing will compare to being able to physically see the new Hellcat - and possibly hear it roar to life in the flesh. Sure, one owner may have been stupid enough to hit a tree or whatever it was he hit with it just 20 seconds after driving off the lot, but for those of us who recognize and understand this monster's 707 horsepower V8 powerhouse, it will truly be a sight to behold. The only thing that might compare to this is it's 4 door brother.
 

Caricos.com
 
 
3. Acura NSX
This, arguably, has been the "will they - won't they" car of the past decade in the industry. Four years ago, when the original concept was revealed in Detroit, Honda talked endlessly about the production version, but sadly left us in the blind for the next 4 years, leaving the industry with much speculation as to whether those that had already put a down payment on one would ever see the fruit of their investment at all. For 2015, Acura returned to the stand, this time, with (finally) the long-awaited production - ready version. Though there have been a few styling changes here and there, this production NSX looks identical to its original concept, and returned to Detroit, where it didn't disappoint. Hey, if Jerry Seinfeld was pleased, I'm sure I will be too.
 

 
 
automobile magazine
 
 
4. Alfa Romeo 4C / 4C Spyder
They say you aren't a true gearhead until you've owned an Alfa, and after seeing the 4C for the first time, and knowing the craftsmanship that goes into producing these fine Italian cars, I am completely on board with that statement. The Alfa Romeo 4C marks the company's first car to come to the U.S. since they were pulled out of the market in 1995. Sure it's been dumbed down a bit to meet the Country's safety regulations and emissions standards, but nonetheless, it's still a beautiful car to look at, and if we're honest, it'll still turn many heads without fail on Michigan Avenue.
 

CarAdvice.com
 
 
5. Porsche 911 Targa 4 GTS
Of course, what is any true gear head's obsession if it doesn't include a fascination with the 911 saga. Porsche brought back the classic Targa Top in 2014 to the awe of a crowd full of enthusiasts excited to get to know it. For 2015, the Targa returns with more power and, of course, a hefty price tag. Designed almost as if it should be a part of any coastal beach scene, this T Top Porsche is all about speed as much as it's about looks; and hey, that hole where your check book once sat will at least make the new 911 Targa lighter on its wheels, making for quite a fun blast through your favorite coastal roads.
 



hypebeast
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment