Tuesday, September 20, 2016

2016 Acura TLX Update: More Air, Please





There's a certain satisfaction you get whenever you step outside on a beautiful August Saturday morning. The air is hot, but not overwhelming. The sun shines bright over the thin layer of moisture that's accumulated on your car in the driveway overnight. The birds chirp happily and the neighborhood is quiet with the exception of the occasional car that passes by on their way to the golf course for an early tee time. For the next two days you get to enjoy a break from the office, but that's not to say it always goes off without a hitch. As was the case for me a couple weeks back.


I was out of the house at about 9:30, ready to start my day with a jaunt to the gym for a cardio session and a good workout. It was a 5 minute drive to the gym and I was feeling relaxed as I inhaled a breath of fresh air that morning. The TLX sat in my driveway, the wheels still glossy from the wash I'd given it just a week prior. I got in, put my gym bag in the passenger seat and started her up. The car ran through its usual checks, but then I heard a binging sound I hadn't before. It's concerning to me because I haven't even had my first service yet. A look at my dash board moments later reveals why.


On my gauge cluster there sits a lower case "i" illuminated in orange. Above it, an exclamation point sits in a semicircular shape that resembles a flat tire. The information display shows the message "tire pressures low". This is reaffirmed when I scroll through the information menu to a screen that shows the tire pressure for each wheel. The rear driver side wheel reads a dismal "19psi". The normal air pressure is 35psi. I turn off the car and begin my investigation.


I breathe a sigh of relief as I take solace in the fact that at least it's not a mechanical issue. But now my smooth and easy morning has turned into one of concern. It's like the movie "Home Alone" when Kevin realizes he's on the wrong plane after he arrives in New York instead of Florida. I feel your pain, Kev. I feel your pain.


I step out to take a second look at the tire. It's not flat, at least, which tells me there must be a slow leak. I check the tire with my hands, coating them in black as I run them over the treads. I check for any foreign objects that might have punctured the tire and lodged itself in there. I had been driving through a construction zone on the route I use to commute to work. Either way, it's an issue I can't continue to ignore. Luckily, I have Acura's Service program which covers all my maintenance, issue and required services. I give them a call and set an appointment.


Two weeks and a one-hour service appointment later reveals that, as expected, a nail in the tire is what caused the leak, and it was patched up free of charge. It's a solid hold and the man I worked with told me I would be set to go. But, I'm not usually one to immediately say that he feels comfortable driving around with a plugged tire. Fortunately for me, Acura's Service plan covers tires up to $250, so maybe we'll ask them about it at the first service.


Service Summary:
Milage: 3,600
Damage: puncture / nail in tire
Cost to fix: $0 / Acura Care service plan

Keep up with my adventures in the TLX here!

No comments:

Post a Comment